Pages

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

The Song of Gaál - Eleven


*** Warning ***
Sensitive situations
Violence; Nudity;
Hard R Rating
Please do not read if you are easily disturbed.
(All characters, places and events reside solely in my imagination.)

The Song of Gaál
…....... Eleven ….......


Sotete Castle sat high on a rocky hill, its barren grounds covered with low, clinging weeds and its soil barely able to sustain the life of the kitchen garden. Pine trees thrived and surrounded the far side of the castle shedding their acidic needles that further inhibited plant growth. The shadows cast from the tall trees kept the back of the castle in near dark through the day. At night, the moon at its highest fought with the winds to make a path through the tall pines for its light to reach the dark stone walls. The moon seldom won the battle.



The winds blew mournfully through the old evergreen trees as the moon tried to reach the ground, chasing whirl-of-winds around the dark, grey castle. A deep coldness raced down the mountain and wailed against the outer walls of the castle, snaking along the passes and into Cassava's bones. Despite the discomfort, Cassava remained still as stone, watching the low lights in the castle from his vantage in a tree. 


The trees sang sadly to him, their bare limbs rubbing melancholy dirges, crying for the lost summer, while the evergreens on the hillside sheltered themselves from the snows. Cassava moved not a muscle. He suffered the cold winds and the cramped position, watching closely for the lights in the kitchen to be doused. He dared not glance to the windows high above the ground. He did not want his eyes to fall upon Mistress at all. The thought of Malika sent ghostly chills across his neck, eliciting an involuntary shiver.

After what seemed an eternity, the window went black but for one faint, bobbing glow that Cassava knew had to be the servant Ursula, walking to the stair with a candle. He had no feeling or thought for Ursula. The thin, blonde woman always watched impassively when any of the children in the castle were irrationally scolded, teased or struck by Master or Mistress. Often times Ursula would continue mending, cooking or cleaning without a glance to the child being punished. She showed emotion only once that he witnessed, the day almost three years prior when Malika ripped Ursula's newborn infant from her arms. Shaking off memory, Cassava counted to one hundred and slowly stretched out his limbs, forcing the blood to circulate before climbing to the ground. With barely the whisper of sound, he reached the hard winter ground and moved to the kitchen door.



He tested the latch before slipping his long knife between door and frame. Gently lifting the lock hook, he eased the door open and let himself in. 

Assaulted by a rush of emotion, Cassava stood with his back against the wall in the dark kitchen, his heart pounding against his chest. The smell of roasted food and fresh produce evoked the memory of Ursula chopping onions, Jazsef the stable master speaking with Malek, the stableboy, and of little blonde haired Beata, filling the soup pot with water. Shaking off the ghosts, Cassava surveyed the room. He had a purpose here tonight. He could not let anything muddle his brain.

The low fire in the cook stove to his left cast short, tortured shadows along the pantry and the walls. The embers in the fireplace glowed faintly red, creating the appearance of blood spilled along the wooden floor to his right. Closing his eyes, Cassava took three deep breaths, slowly exhaling each, willing himself to steady his nerves and reach the place within himself that housed no thoughts. He had to complete the task at hand and nothing more, silently entering, and silently leaving. He listened to the castle around him. Hearing no sounds from within the thick stone walls, he crouched low to the ground, making his way to the kitchen stair that would take him up where he needed to be.



Cassava climbed the stone stair, emerging from the stairwell into a small hall. His eyes adjusted to the dim light cast by the candle in the sconce on the wall. His eyes immediately pulled to the door on his left. His arm moved on its own accord and gripped his wrist, rubbing until he pinched his skin on the dark leather bracer he wore. He pinched his hand sharply while looking at the door that led to Mistress' chambers. Burning anger and the taste of fear welled up in his throat. He pinched his hand harder to overcome the feeling, more angry at himself for not having his emotions under the control he believed he was capable of. He listened attentively for any sounds from the closed doors within the hall. 



Slowly moving along the wall, he passed Malika's chamber door and slid toward the end of the hall. Again he paused to listen, to be certain the castle slept, before reaching his hand to the latch of the door at the end of the hall. Pressing the rocker with extreme caution, Cassava released the latch, easing the door open. Slipping into the room, he closed the door behind him and stood still, surveying his surroundings as his eyes adjusted to the darkness.

His eyes moved along the room's perimeter, falling upon a cradle near the inside wall. He moved to the cradle and peered down at the small girl sleeping soundly. She was a slight baby with pale skin and dark hair. When last he saw her, she had no hair. He gauged her weight to be maybe two stones. He could not discern her features with her face shadowed by the woolen blanket that partially covered her. Cassava reached into his belt pouch for the flask and the cloth Kisertet gave to him. Following Kisertet's instruction, Cassava opened the flask with his teeth and covered the top with the cloth, upending the flask to wet the cloth with the liquid contents. Holding his breath, he replaced the top of the flask and dropped it into his belt pouch. He moved to the baby and gently covered her face with the cloth, pressing slightly against her nose and mouth, counting twenty breaths. Satisfied that movement would not wake her now, Cassava took the baby in his arms, wrapping her woolen blanket closely around her, covering her head. Moving silently, he reopened the door slowly, listening for sounds within the castle. Satisfied that the castle still slept around him, he moved to the stair, descended the stair, crept through the kitchen with its fire shadows dancing, and slipped outside to the cold, wintry air. The baby did not stir.



29 comments:

  1. Wow!

    That is awesome Cassava has taken baby Eszerbet! And Kisertet helped? Even better! But then this is child 3 that Kisertet has taken to his place, he isn't stockpiling children too is he?

    I was hoping that someone would be able to help that baby and Cassava knew what troubles awaited that poor child. Good for them!

    The descriptions and details were excellent! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading, Daijah :)
      And thank you for your comments :)

      Delete
  2. I loved your description of the castle, it's amazing how you've brought it to life with just the words alone. Perfect.

    I'm so happy the baby was saved from Malika, but a part of me can't help but feel a little angry at Kistert for sending Cassava there. What would have happened if Malika or her husband had caught him, things could have easily gone the other way? He is supposed to be dead after all.

    Kistert, I don't know what to make of him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your continuous support and encouragement.
      Kisertet places a lot of confidence in a child, or, Cassava simply has no choice and cannot fail. It would have been a nightmare for him had they discovered him, but he's been taught to handle little weapons, maybe the nightmare would have been theirs? heh

      Thank you :)

      Delete
  3. Cass rescued the baby from Mistress!!! Yay so glad that poor child won't have to endure a hard life at her hands. So is this was Kisertet has been training him for? So what now? He has three kids he must care for but Cass seems to enjoy the company of the young ones so he'll be a great protector.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for reading. Kisertet never struck me as a fatherly type. ^_^
      Cassava I think I need to bring out more, really get his mind out in the open so his full character can be understood. I hope I can accomplish that.

      Delete
  4. You know a few chapters back i was wondering what ever came of her, hoping she hadn't had the same fate as poor Cassava.

    So, now i'm wondering if Kistert is simply trying to help the girl because either or both Lavante or Malika was cruel to her, or i'm also beginning to wonder if the baby is Kisterts'? Will be interesting to find out.

    Kistert, whom i like, is a strange, seems like he's wrangling children for what ever reason, at least he doesn't beat them, i do worry about the emotional challenges he puts on them though...edenz~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, 100%, Kisertet is odd. He doesn't beat them, well, Cassava with the training, but, does that count? Kisertet isn't gentle to Cassava. I guess he sees him as a little man and not a child of about 11.
      Thank you for reading and commenting :)

      Delete
  5. Cassava was brave to take the baby. I hope the baby will be ok now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very brave :) I love that little guy. ^_^
      Thank you for reading :)

      Delete
    2. Did you see that last picture? He has his eyebrow twitched like "wow, she is heavy!" - hope he doesn't say things like that when he grows up. haha

      Delete
  6. ~ I am pleased that Kisertet, had the little girl rescued from those monsters,but not the risks he took in doing so,he must have a lot of faith in Cassava not failing his task!
    ~ But I shudder to think what would happen if he was found out!
    ~ I wounder if we will find out her true father,I have a feeling it is the Master,& that is why they went away to make it look like the child was the mistresses, to all outsiders,it would be her child!
    ~ Love it more when you can!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cassava would have been in an awkward, dangerous place had he been discovered, I am certain. Thanks so much for reading. All secrets in time :)

      Delete
  7. I loved the writing in this! Also I love that Cass is growing up very quickly, it had to take a lot of courage for him to do that obviously. I wonder what Kisertet wants with these children. I also wonder how Malika will handle having another one of her 'toys' taken from her.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so glad that Kissertet had Cassava take the baby before Malika could really harm her! Maybe because of his guilt he is trying to secretly keep his sister from harming these children!

    I loved the suspense Zhippidy. I held my breath until Cassava left with the baby! I am totally hooked on this story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Daisies :)
      And thanks for reading ^_^

      Delete
  9. I am really happy for Cassava, at first though I thought he went in there to kill Malika and I got a little scared. But good for him to rescue that beautiful baby. Now maybe she will not be hurt.

    Awesome Chapter Zhippidy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      Thanks very much for reading and I am glad you are enjoying. ^_^

      Delete
  10. Another child rescued. I was worried about Cassava at first but now I think he's going to be fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's getting good at the sneaky stuff, isn't he? ^_^
      Thanks so much for reading :)

      Delete
  11. I am glad that he saved the little girl but I do wonder why. I don't think Kisset is such a gentle person. He left his sister after all!
    I hope they will take good care of her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment made me smile. You are quite observant :)

      Delete
  12. That was amazing. I'm still shaking. I'm so glad Cassava kidnapped the small girl. She'd do better ANYWHERE besides being with that witch.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I felt very ninja reading this. The way you described the atmosphere made it feel like I was right alongside Cassava. I have such a hard time writing about settings and I really appreciate the way you do it. The pictures are a bonus.
    I'm glad that the mission was a success because I can only imagine what would've happened if Cassava was spotted...Levente would probably be dead! =D
    ...I meant =(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so pleased that you walked alongside Cassava during his mission :)
      Levente dead! ^_^
      Thanks so much for reading :)

      Delete
  14. Oh my goodness!! Cassava saved the baby!!!
    I am just devouring this story! It's hooked me good!

    ReplyDelete