Pages

Saturday, March 17, 2012

The Song of Gaál - One



*** Warning *** 
Sensitive situations
Violence; Nudity; 
Hard R rating
Please do not read if you are easily disturbed
(All characters, places and events reside solely in my imagination.)


The Song of Gaál
.............. One ............


Cassava DelGado lived within the walls of Castle Sotete most of his young life. At the tender age of five, Cassava and two other children left the village with Levente Tolvaj, Master of Castle Sotete. Levente had been watching the children in the village below the castle for seven years, since his marriage to Malika Katarina Gaál. Levente hoped he would find a dark haired, dark eyed male child each time he approached the village. This was no small task since the people of the secluded, mountainous lands that surrounded Castle Sotete were often fair haired and blue eyed. Levente would take a child occasionally to service the castle and he would leave a gift for the village in return, but he had yet to find the child he wanted.   


Following a trip to the neighboring county, Levente Tolvaj turned his horse down the narrow path leading to the smallest village on his lands. He called out to the elders as he approached and was greeted by a stoutly woman. A small group of children cautiously followed behind the woman. Levente nodded to the elderly woman, his glance never really touching her, and he peered around her at the children.

   
At the sight of Cassava's smudged face and bare feet, Levente's dour face split into a smile. The smile did nothing to appease the nervousness of the children. The curve of Levente's lips was more grimace than smile, set in a ruddy face, partly obscured by lengthy, pale hair. The children unwittingly took a step backward, seeing a vision from nightmares before them. The village woman ushered the children forward for inspection; she knew Levente had come to claim more children for the castle. Joined by her elderly husband, the woman twisted her hands together while the two men discussed the trade.

   
The deal sealed with the promise of new livestock for the village, both elders turned their faces from Levente, telling themselves that the gleam in Levente's eye was reflection and nothing more. The village needed the two cows promised by the Master of the Castle; they did no need the three hungry children, especially so when one was not their own. 'They will have fair lives at the castle,' the village elders assured each other as they brushed gooseflesh from their arms. None glanced in the direction of the dark castle that sat high on a hill. None watched as the guardsmen swept up Cassava and the two other children. None turned to wave farewell when the small group began their journey to the castle. Not a sound was heard from the children.



Upon arrival to the castle, Levente Tolvaj dispatched the older village boy to the stables with the stable master and sent the small girl to the kitchens with a maidservant. 



Cassava stood stiff and still, flanked by Levente's guardsmen, suffering Levente's glaring perusal. The frowning smile never left Levente's face and Cassava did his best to avoid looking directly at him.



Levente finally spoke, after what seemed an eternity to a five year old, 'Bathe him and take him to Mistress Tolvaj.' Levente ordered the burly guardsman standing behind Cassava. Levente decided that giving the boy to his eccentric wife would be an entertainment for her and he would have the boy close at hand. Chuckling to himself, Levente walked away, satisfied with the arrangement and applauding his own cleverness. What better guard for the boy than dear, little Malika?   




37 comments:

  1. This is off to such an intriguing start! I'm so happy you've finally decided to post it.

    Great job on the castle! And I'm eagerly looking forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much :) Without your encouragement, this would still be just a story in my mind and in my notebook. ^_^ .... I am really happy with the castle. I wish I could show it floor by floor, room by room. Perhaps I will make a walk through video.

      Delete
  2. ~ Wow what a great start,I can not wait for more!
    ~ I love it,& want more!(",)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very interesting beginning! I can't wait to see what they have planned for the children!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you find it interesting :)
      Thank you for taking the time to read.

      Delete
  4. ohhhh wonder what they want with poor Cassava? Lavente to me is eerie and creepy, wife doesn't sound much better! Can't wait to see more=).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a secret ^_^
      I am glad you are interested, thank you.

      Delete
  5. Wow I wonder what they collect children for?! That is kinda scary the behavior of the townspeople to just LET the kids go with these people for a few cattle! Do they have any idea what happens in there I wonder? Even if one was not there's they have to be somewhat concerned still right?

    I agree with Eden, Lavente is creepy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ignorance is bliss. The children are going to have a better life at the castle. That's what they comfort themselves with. I am happy that you read :) Any feedback is very appreciated.

      Delete
  6. Ohhhhhh, very interesting. I want to see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This has a very creepy vibe to it. Interesting and willing to see what happens next.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the intro. It definitely left me wanting to know more about why they needed a dark haired dark eyed child. Looking forward to reading more :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like it. A very interesting start. Lokking forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, great start, really want to know what happens next. I wonder what I really wants to do with the boy. Going to the next chapter :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so excited you are reading :)
      One of my favourite writers ^_^
      Thank you. :)

      Delete
  11. Wow, this is very intriguing! I'm looking forward to finding out what happens to Cassava now, and what's going on the castle that Levente needs to keep bringing in more hildren. And why specifically he was looking for a dark-haired one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you find it interesting :)
      Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  12. I wonder what the significance of having a dark hair and dark eyed child is. The way you described Levente and his mannerisms was great. He and his wife are giving me bad vibes all around about their true intentions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will all unfold.
      Thank you for having an interest in my little story :)
      I appreciate your comments :) thanks :)

      Delete
  13. ok, you got me!! i'm reading on right now!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, this looks really intruiging! I'm definitely going to catch up. ^^ Is the story still ongoing? =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello. The story is still ongoing. I have not been though. heh... sorry for that and thank you for reading :)

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  15. Wow amazing story. I can't wait to see what is in story for the children

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I do hope you enjoy it. Thanks for reading :)

      Delete
  16. Wow, such an amazing start! This looks like a really dark bedtime story, both creepy and endearing, that's an interesting combination... :-).

    Oh, and expect some random comments from me as I read on.

    ReplyDelete
  17. A very mysterious start to the story. The elderly couple seemed to have knowledge of what the children might be used for, and the fact that they wanted to deny it to themselves makes it seem sinister. I love the setting for your story, and will be back to read more of what Levente has in mind for the boy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I am glad that you enjoyed it so far ^_^
      Thanks very much for reading and commenting, I appreciate that :)

      Delete