***
Warning ***
Sensitive
situations
Violence;
Nudity;
Hard
R Rating
Please
do not read if you are easily disturbed.
(All
characters, places and events reside solely in my imagination.)
The
Song of Gaál
….......
Seven ….......
Under
the shade of trees with Jaszef, Malek and Todor nearby, Cassava
caught his first fish. He knelt down and held the shining silver
fish in his hands, his eyes lit with wonderment. Jaszef scooted down
the little hill to the small pond and Malek stood on the opposite
side, watching Cassava. “That is a fine silver minnow you have
there, Cassa!” Jaszef excitedly stated.
Cassava
glanced sidelong up at Jaszef, a small tight smile on his lips. “It
is too small to eat.” Cassava replied as he turned the fish back
into the pond. Jaszef blinked at Cassava and turned to Malek. “Do
not get any ideas in your head Malek! We are keeping your fish, I am
famished!” Jaszef said as he rubbed his stomach.
The
three continued to cast their lines to the pond. Jaszef and Malek
tossed quips back and forth, telling of the largest fish they caught,
each exaggerating to best the other. Cassava kept his back to the
castle that sat perched high on the hill. He listened to his
companions' voices as he watched the water ripple with the slight
breezes that swept down the little valley. He held his fishing rod
loosely, more intent on the argument of who caught the largest fish
than worrying that he might catch another himself.
“Look!
Look Malek! Cassava can smile!' He heard Jaszef say loudly
from close to his side. Cassava jerked away from Jaszef as he turned
to look at the man, nearly losing his fishing rod in the pond as it
pulled sharply forward. “Whoa Whoa!” Jaszef laughed, “Cassa
has a big one! Bring it in, snippet, and we can have supper!”
Jaszef's excitement was contagious and Cassava laughed as he pulled
and tugged the fishing rod, bringing a large fish in from the pond.
Seated
around the small fire Jaszef built, the three cooked and shared the
smaller fish they caught, saving the larger ones for Ursula to cook
in the kitchen. Jaszef took apples and sweet breads from his bag,
sharing them with the boys. He chuckled at Malek telling him he
could only have an apple, he was becoming a portly lad, to which
Malek wrinkled his nose and looked at his belly. Cassava grabbed up
his portion of the sweet bread and brought it to his mouth. He took
a deep breath as he chewed slowly, not wanting the flavours to end,
not wanting the day to end. He could not remember a meal that had
tasted as wonderful as a simple fire roasted fish and cold bread with
raisins. If he turned his head just slightly, the cold grey castle
vanished from his view.
***** ***** *****
Two
months after Levente and Malika left the castle, Ursula was delivered
of a baby girl. Beata adored the infant and often sat near the
cradle learning her letters while the baby slept. Within a fortnight
of the arrival of the infant, Levente and Malika returned to Sotete.
Cassava was hurried by Ursula to tell Beata to freshen the beds.
Beata rushed Cassava away from her and ran from the room, her pale
face flushed and her mouth twisted, holding back tears. Cassava
rubbed his wrist, leaving red marks on his skin. He glanced at the
cradle, seeing only a bundle of coverings.
As
Cassava walked down the back stair to the kitchen, his skin went cold
upon hearing Levente's voice. Levente was talking in a hushed,
hurried manner, causing Cassava to halt his descent, undecided to
continue down or turn and take another stairway. A second voice,
angry, in response to Levente. Cassava's breath stilled. Kisertet.
Cassava
slid closer to the stone wall in the dark stairwell, listening
intently, trying to discern the heated words being exchanged. He
took a cautious step down, his ear turned toward the voices that
seemed to be coming from the kitchen pantry. “You told me it would
be done before we returned,” he heard Levente growl. “If you do
not hold your end, I will resolve the matter.”
Cassava descended
another step. “It has become complicated, Tolvaj, be still and
mind my instruction,” he heard Kisertet hiss. Levente's reply was
broken, faint and incomplete, despite Cassava's trying to will
himself to hear through the walls. “Already it is too long,
already..... Malika and.... infant. Be done with it!” Cassava
hears some shuffling and a loud crash, glass breaking and a very
angry Kisertet. “I said be still, man! Wait On My Word!”
Kisertet's voice boomed through the stairwell, then silence. A
breath. Two breaths. Cassava heard footsteps moving in the kitchen,
heading toward the stairway he stood in. He swallowed hard and
erased emotion from his face, starting down the remaining steps as
Kisertet rounded the corner to go up. Kisertet lifted his face.
Cassava's eyes immediately moved to Kisertet's and they locked.
Kisertet's lip twitched up and he squinted slightly at Cassava before
continuing his climb, “Your Mistress is back, you best greet her
soon.” Kisertet announced as he slid by the boy and disappeared up
the stair.
Cassava was greeted by Malika with a series of slaps to his head. He was not present at the gate when she arrived. She pulled Cassava toward the stair, stopping suddenly when she saw Ursula enter the room carrying an infant.
Malika
dropped Cassava's arm and watched Ursula. Ursula did not move.
Cassava held his breath, the silence in the room swallowing any will
to break it. The infant hiccoughed and settled, the sounds of the
castle returned and Malika moved toward Ursula. She tore the baby
away from Ursula and turned back, grabbing up Cassava's arm, “Come.”
She demanded, moving toward the stair. The infant began to cry.
Cassava glanced back and saw Ursula following behind, her eyes
brimming with tears.
Malika
ordered a servant to move the infant's cradle to the nursery outside
her rooms. Ursula cried and pleaded that the baby needed her, which
Malika outright denied, stating she would provide all the care for
the infant, after all, she birthed the baby. Malika declared the
baby girl to be Eszerbet Hanna Tolvaj and turned away, leaving a
crumpled Ursula weeping on the floor.









~ Fishing,he had fun fishing,good to see,but he only learned to have fun,when they returned!
ReplyDelete~ She took the baby,just like that,she does not even know it is her brothers baby!
~ I wonder what will happen when Kisertet finds his daughter is in the care of his cruel sister!!!!
~ Loved it!MORE!please!(",)
He had fun :)
DeleteThanks so much for your continued encouragement. ^_^
He got to have a nice, peaceful time while they were gone. I'm so happy that he had that, but now it is over.
ReplyDeleteI'm wondering now if the baby is Levente's and not Kiseret's baby! Should have known that Malika would be cruel to Ursula when she saw the baby. I hope that she won't be cruel to the baby too!
A really great update, Zhippidy!
Thank you :) I am glad you liked it.
DeleteShe took her baby???? What the hell was that about? She can't care for an infant. But I'm thinking it is what I suspected, Mistress can't have children. Now a poor defenseless infant is in her care. What happens come feeding time? There were no bottles and she most certainly did not birth a baby. I see trouble :(
ReplyDeletePoor Cass, his carefree time is over. :( I was hoping they would get killed on their journey some how but I guess not.
Malika is impervious to death. heh. Thank you for reading :)
DeleteAt least Cassava got to live a little, and even laughed!
ReplyDeleteKisertet seems like a decent sort, how he came out as good as he did with a sister like he has i'll never know.
Malika and Levente,,i can just shake my head, it's beyond my understanding of what could make two people so awful, maybe some people are just borned evil, looking forward to more...edenz~
Thank you for reading, Edenz, I aprpeciate it and your feedback.
DeleteI would love to discuss them all, but I can't, or there won't be a story anymore. ^_^
I sorry for Ursula having the baby taken away. Malika is a cruel and horrible, I just hope the baby will be ok
ReplyDeleteI will tell you a secret. The baby was an accident in game (stupid high free will, haha) and I had to fit it in, but how perfectly it fit :) Thanks so much for reading!
Delete(more like stupid me for not turning free will off like Val suggested to me so many times *LOL*)
Did Malika just blatantly take Ursula's baby? What a cruel, selfish person. Poor Ursula, I can't imagine what heartache she's going through.
ReplyDeleteUrsula is now the second person Malika has used and abused, I say this calls for a "Let's kill Malika" meeting.
I was so happy for Cassava when they wenr fishing, he seemes so happy. Now, that's what childhood is supposes to be.
MOAR! MOAR! MOAR!
She did. It is her baby, after all, she is certain.
DeleteThe fishing took on a life of its own. :)
Thanks so much for reading :)
I would kill her. How can the witch take the baby like that! Poor boy now his live is going to be a living hell again. I wish somebody would do something about it. I wonder what the brother was talking about. I didn't understand halve of it:P
ReplyDeleteI guess you will be at the Let's Kill Malika meeting? heh
DeleteOn Kisertet's broken conversation, you understand about as much as Cassava. ^_^
Thank you for reading :)
Wow...
ReplyDeleteI like how the castle became a nice place when the masters were away. I wonder how often they have such opportunities. Malika is a cruel and hateful person! That baby needs her mother but Malika could care less :(
And what the hell were they talking about? It can only spell trouble with the Mistress and Master at work :(
Thank you for reading, Daijah :)
DeleteI'm glad that Cassava was able to have some fun.
ReplyDeleteMalika is evil! The baby needs her mother. Why can't Malika understand that! :[
I love my Cassava :) he had some fun, and ate fish! haha.
DeleteThanks for reading and your comments :)
.....I swear, Malika never ceases to amaze me. She's a certified psycho and why her husband chooses to keep her alive I have no idea!
ReplyDeleteI am glad to know that Malika's actions are unexpected. The challenge of writing this is keeping my characters seemingly active and involved and twisted into the whole thing. That and keeping to my original story line without deviation because of some flighty ideas I get in my head. haha... thanks for reading :)
Deletepoor Ursula...Malika's mind is so twisted...I hate to think what the Baby would go through in her hands...
ReplyDeleteHello :)
DeleteMalika is a bit off, definitely. I felt bad for Ursula too.
Thank you for reading. I hope you enjoy more :)
It was nice to read how Cassava smiled and was actually enjoying himself. Those outdoor shots are beautiful. Too bad the good times didn't last. It's like the castle is a place that harbors children. That's sick.I can't imagine how Ursula must feel to have her baby ripped away from her like that and being unable to do a damn thing about it.
ReplyDeleteThank you for reading and for your comments :)
DeleteThe castle feels as cold and grey as it looks I am sure.
Thanks about the pictures :) I think I spend more time creating sets than anything else sometimes ^_^
i literally felt Ursula's pain when her baby was taken away from her. Malika needs to die! she's an evil woman!
ReplyDeleteI am glad I got her anguish through from Cassava's perspective :)
Delete