***
Warning ***
Sensitive
situations
Violence;
Nudity;
Hard
R Rating
Please
do not read if you are easily disturbed.
(All
characters, places and events reside solely in my imagination.)
The
Song of Gaál
….......
Ten ….......
Of
all the lessons Cassava received from Kisertet, it was the music he
longed for. He knew so little of Kisertet and yet when Kisertet
shared his music, Cassava felt that he knew everything about the man.
In the dead of night he would lie awake remembering the songs,
thinking of the sounds and craving for them. To hold the lute
himself, to listen to Kisertet play, watching the man's fingers as
they caressed the strings of the harp, to hear the strong, smooth
voice sing words in languages he was only learning, it set a burning
desire deep within him. These thoughts filled his mind in the dark
hours from the gloaming until dawn.
Freshly
bathed and wearing clean clothes, Cassava entered the music room with
its high, round ceiling adorned by frescoes of dreams from the
heavens. Surely the pictures depicted the angels that came to listen
to Kisertet play. Moving along the perimeter of the tower room, a
person could look out through the tall glass windows and view the
river moving endlessly, far below. Kisertet motioned for Cassava to
sit before he snatched up his lute and pulled the bench over. He
spun the bench and sat facing Cassava, casting him a glance while
setting the strings of the instrument. Cassava watched the elegant,
tanned fingers set the tune, seeming to graze over the pegs and
strings, adjusting the sound until Kisertet tapped the body and began
the lesson.
Following
an afternoon of enchanted melodies, mournful laments and delightful
songs, Cassava glanced to the window, seeing only rain rivulets on
the glass as the storm outside carried on. Through washes of water,
he saw the trees bend and sway with the disorderly winds that whipped
about the valley. The dark of the evening was falling over them
swiftly, broken by flashes of light that lit the room with startling
white. He glanced at the sleeping Mirriam, marveling that she stayed
so still and quiet though the thunder roared overhead and the room
lit with lightning flashes. In most storms, he would be suddenly
wakened by Mirriam trying to carefully climb into his bed with him.
Cassava's hand gently rubbed the length of the lute as he remembered
that the first time Mirriam came close to him while he slept, he
startled awake and held a knife to her throat. He closed his eyes
and bit the inside of his cheek, recalling how close he came to
hurting her. She had apologised for waking him and cuddled down in
the bed with him, her head under his chin.
“Come,
Cassava,” Kisertet's voice, interrupted Cassava's thoughts and
tender care of the lute, “there is much you need to know and how
perfect this evening is, with the North Wind chasing the aurea
through the trees. So uncommon an occurrence,” Kisertet said
wistfully. He turned to Cassava, “the North Wind is lovesick, you
know. Such a human fault, love.” Kisertet moved to the small
table and poured the deep, blood purple liquid into a glass. He
looked into the glass, swept it under his nose and sipped at the
drink before sitting. “And just think of the dangers to the ships
at sea should the North Wind suffer a broken heart.” Kisertet's
mouth twitched to a small smile and he looked at Cassava from under
his brow. “Seal your heart, Cassava, let none in. You cannot
think if you love, you will make wrong choices if you love and you
will drown in many regrets.”
Cassava
caressed the body of the lute he held, a gentle motion to and fro,
his mind attempting to absorb the words. Did he love? He asked
himself, did he love Kisertet? Mirriam? Did Kisertet love someone?
Always alone in the large house, with never a servant seen, has he
always been alone? What of Mistress Malika, did Kisertet love her?
He is her brother, so they said, but Cassava could not countenance
that statement. He could not see a resemblance in features or
habits. It must have been a revelation in nightmare he had and could
not lose the thought of. “You will rub the lute away,
woolgathering as you are,” Kisertet stated, interrupting Cassava's
thoughts. His cheeks flushed with embarrassed heat that he tried to
hide by keeping his head low as he stood to place the lute on the
table. He gave the lute one last, longing glance and followed
Kisertet's motion to sit with him. Feeling uncomfortable in the room
with the winds singing through the eaves, Cassava settled deeper into
the sofa.
“You
should know of Malika.” Kisertet started, watching Cassava's face
become utterly still and wary. Kisertet
stretched his arm across the space between the chairs, offering his
glass of burgundy. Cassava refused with a short shake of the head.
Kisertet shrugged nearly imperceptibly and drank another swallow of
the liquid, his throat working the warm sensation down and into his
body.
“Malika
lost her innocence before she experienced her womanhood.” Kisertet
began. “Our home in Ejszaka was besieged by Habel Vetec Andronios,
a powerful man from the southlands with a vast army. For months the
castle sang with the music of rock and stone hitting the walls, the
shouts of our soldiers, the bleating of starving children and the
cries of defeated people. Malika saw nine summers when the wall
crumbled and the castle was taken. What was left of the guard were
too few to protect and too hungry to have even the strength to do
so.”
Cassava
heard Kisertet shift his weight in the chair. He glanced over at the
sleeping Mirriam. The man's slow voice calmly continued. “I blame
myself for Malika's current state of mind. If I had not pleaded with
Father to keep three year old Malika Katarina with us after her
mother passed away, she would have been safe when the castle fell.
You see, Cassava,” Kisertet said, directing his eyes to Cassava's,
“Malika's birth occurred while Father was away for two winters. He
returned to Ejszaka to a wife with a child just older than one year.”
Cassava's
eyes widened at the implication and he looked sharply at Kisertet.
Kisertet met the look and the shadow of a sad smile crossed his face.
“She was not his child, as you have realised. You are a smart
boy, Cassava.” He sipped his drink. “When Malika's mother died,
he would have sent Malika to a Tabory, a house where women worship
the Gods. She would have to spend her days repenting for her
mother's sin. And there I was, an ambitious boy of ten winters,
wanting to protect the toddling baby girl that followed me like a
lost puppy, much like our Mirriam here, with you.” Kisertet
exhaled a small breath and looked into his cup. “I failed in my
duty to protect her when our home fell down to pieces six years
later. When I found Malika huddled under debris, blood covering her
tattered dress and sobbing piteously, I grabbed her arm and we ran.
I owed her that much I believed, to take her to safety.”
Kisertet
paused, tapping his forefinger on the arm of the seat. Cassava kept
his eyes on the slow movements of the finger, afraid to look into the
man's face, not wanting to catch the blue eyes watching him.
Kisertet continued speaking in his low, melodic voice, “I, to this
day, thank the Gods that the two of us were not seen. We lived off
the land in all essence of the meaning while we traveled for three
cycles of the moon across the mountains. Malika was silent the
entire journey, nary a word spoke. Before I delivered her to the
Tabory, I secured my father's precious ring around her neck. It
possesses potent magic, the ring.” Cassava dared not glance up,
although the voice held a hint of a smile. He listened attentively
as Kisertet resumed his telling. “Stories say that it protects the
person who wears it, however, it did not protect my father for he was
dead in the great hall when I removed it from his little finger
before escaping the castle with Malika. Whether Malika is cursed or
blessed, I cannot guess, I left her there at the Tabory with not even
a backward glance.”
Cassava
sat still, letting Kisertet's words fall around him. He tried and
tried to imagine Mistress as a three year old attached to a child
sized Kisertet. Another boy may have laughed at the picture he
created, but for Cassava, the image was distorted, wrong; it brought
a frown between his eyes and nothing but emptiness to his mind. He
could not envision it.
“You
suddenly make me mournful, Cassava.” Kisertet's words drifted on an
exhale to his ears. “Can you spare no sympathy for the girl of
nine summers, ravaged by grown men and then cast away, secluded to a
Tabory for thirteen summers more? What if that sad life belonged to
little Mirri, who seems fond of you?” Cassava turned a smouldering
look toward Kisertet, fire burning in his eyes and his brain warring
for a semblance of pity for the little girl Malika, but losing
against the memories he had of her. “Whoa 'Sava, boy,” Kisertet
chuckled, uncrossing his leg and bringing his opposite ankle across
his knee. Cassava's lip twitched to a snarl hearing Kisertet speak
Malika's pet name for him, his heated stare not dropping from the
blue eyes that twinkled with malevolent mischief. “You could
scorch a man with those eyes,” Kisertet said in a near whisper.
Cassava's shoulders dropped slightly and he looked down at his
fingers, a sign to Kisertet that the moment of fury subsided.
Kisertet kept his eyes trained on the boy and leaned back in the
chair, resting his elbow, forefinger to his mouth, thumb rubbing his
chin thoughtfully. “Sleep, Cassava, tomorrow we discuss your
future.”






I feel sorry for what Malika experienced as a girl, but I think that people who experience such horrible things should be the main ones who prevent others from experiencing such things.
ReplyDeleteI don't excuse her for what she does to other people now!
I am glad that Cassava is having some peace and being taken care of now. Little Miriam seems to be growing even more attached to him.
I liked the poses that you used in this one too, Zhippidy!
If only that were how real people worked, our whole world would be so much better. Sadly for most, people live what they learn. (psychiatry/psychology is so fascinating to me) ... Thanks so much for reading, and thank you about the poses :)
DeleteKisertet is teaching Cassava a lot of things, music seems to be his favorite. It made me sad though that he had told him not to love, mkae me wonder who had broken Kisertets' heart.
ReplyDeleteMalkias' story is sad, it really is, but it's hard to have pity on someone who treated Cassava less than a dog, i'm sorry and have pity for the child she was but not for the adult she has become...edenz~
Cassava is learning a lot. He has a future. Kisertet is still somewhat of an enigma. He shows me his character then shows me another side of him, I am still trying to understand his true person. Thanks so much for reading :)
Delete~ Even though you have told the tale of how nine year old Malika,was taken by many men,before she had even time to become a woman,I still have no sympathy for whom she is today,a barren woman, that is scarred for life because of what happened to her as a child,I have sympathy for the child she was,because of what happened to her,she had no choice,but the woman she is ,I have none, as she chooses to be the way she is now,heartless & mean!Even her idea of love is warped!The meanness had to have always been there!
ReplyDelete~ I love that Kisetet is trying to explain why she is the way she is to Cassava,but you can see him living through her brand of love,has taught him to hate her,no matter what, his mind will not allow his heart to forgive her,because of what she endured!His heart will only know her as a heartless woman that she is!No matter what made her that way!
~ I loved it more when you can!(",)
She may have been the Mirriam of Kisertet's youth, but yes, the damage is done and the scarring is permanent. There are so many depths. Things aren't always what they seem. Thank you for reading and for your very insightful comments :)
DeleteKarima stole the words right from my lips. It's sad what Malika went through as a child, but it's really no excuse for her to act the way she does as an adult. I would have expected her to be more sympathetic, loving, nurturing almost because of what happened to her. I think it was a little unfair of Kistert to expect Cassava to feel sympathy for the woman who's abused him from day 1. You should write a book. Your writing is beautiful.
ReplyDeleteFor your stolen words, thank you ^_^
DeleteKisertet is a little more complex than I expected. (Or my ability to keep to the main plot is really terrible! haha) I will blame him though. He is a bad character for taking me in a million directions. :) Thanks so much for reading. I wrote a book once, and it was turned down by several publishers. I threw it away and stuck to art, poems and songs. ^_^
Getting some background info on Malika was helpful but I can't excuse how she treated Cass. He is an innocent child much like she was and didn't deserve to have those things done to him.
ReplyDeleteI'm still so confused on Kisertet's character. Is he helping Cass or does he have some ulterior motive?
Thank you for reading, Jazen. :)
DeleteIt's always interesting to see how some people with bad history and see what type of person they grow up into. I think Malika just doesn't expect love and care so she never gave it. Nothing can excuse how she treated Cassava but it explains a bit why she is a bit careless.
ReplyDeleteAs for Kisertet I wonder what he has planned for Cassava, he has taught him a lot of things and I think more importantly he has given him purpose to live again if that makes sense.
Thanks for reading, Aeon :)
DeleteWow Malika had it bad but I can't help but feel anger towards her just the same. She had someone loving and caring with her and knew that he was there to try and help and protect her yet even after the visit to the tabory she became an embittered and cruel person hellbent on hurting everyone around her! She once showed pity which was shocking to me when Cassava was hurt but I can't help but remember more all the pain she's caused.
ReplyDeleteIt was great learning a bit of their history though. I'm very happy to see Kisertet help Cassava make a real go at life, he really did need to escape! The way he held a knife at Mirriam only goes to show that :(
Thank you for reading, Daijah :)
DeleteMalika didn't so much as show pity when Cassava was injured, it was fear of losing him. I hope I reflected that, but if you saw pity, I need to get cracking on those writing tutorials. ^_^ It's a little difficult for me to place inserts where they best fit to give some history of the other characters. I wanted to try to stay with a Cassava view, but it seems I may need to change my plan. I appreciate your feedback, as always, thanks so much.
No. I can't seem to forgive Malika, I just pity her more. What she went through is no excuse for what she did to Cassava.
ReplyDeleteWe can never gauge how a trauma will affect one person to the next. She was heartless to Cassava, but perhaps that's all she knows to be. :(
DeleteThank you for reading :)
I feel sorry for Malika but that doesn't excuse her behavior. The brother is also not quit right in the head and you see that Cassava also is changing. I don't know if it for the better. We have to see and read :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for reading Dutchy :)
DeleteKisertet's revelation does explain Malika's horrible actions... she had a horrible childhood. Poor Cassava's childhood has not been much better so far.
ReplyDeleteSo true. She had a tough beginning, and maybe never learned how to love another.
DeleteWow, that piece of information about Malika's childhood was really insightful. It's clear that what we experience as children shape up as adults, and sadly Malika's present behaviour is far too common in previously abused children :-(.
ReplyDeleteYou have really complex characters here, and you've portrayed them wonderfully :-).
And what a sad lesson Kissertet is giving Cassava: not to love! I guess he's thinking of the child's well-being, but what's the point in keeping yourself alive if you can't love? That's not life, it's just survival. Sorry for the rambling, I do this sometimes... LOL
Your comments make me think, and that's always a good thing. I really appreciate them as they allow me to look at the characters and the story from another angle. Thanks so much for reading and for commenting :)
Delete