***
Warning ***
Sensitive
situations
Violence;
Nudity;
Hard
R Rating
Please
do not read if you are easily disturbed.
(All
characters, places and events reside solely in my imagination.)
The
Song of Gaál
….......
Eight ….......
Cassava
found that the infant that Malika claimed as her own offered him
respite from Malika's constant observation. While he was not
allowed to leave her side, he was allowed to read a book as he waited
for her to want his attention. Ursula would come to the nursery
during the day and Malika would respond by screaming at her and
pushing her away until Levente came to the room. Levente would take
Malika's arms and remind her that Ursula was the wet-nurse and all
proper Ladies used them. Malika would calm slightly and begrudgingly
hand over Eszerbet. She would then pull Cassava up by his arm and
push past Levente, leaving the room in an angry flurry. Levente
watched Cassava's dark head as it disappeared from the room behind
Malika, his eyes filled with bitterness.
In
the library, Cassava stood before Malika while she looked into the
fire. Levente sat with a book on his lap, watching the boy. Cassava
shifted slightly and kept his eyes averted, feeling Levente's stare
bore into his skin and making his spine race with chills.
He
heard steps on the front stair and breathed deeply a sigh of relief
when Jaszef begins to speak to Levente. Levente rose and approached
Malika. “Malika, it is time to put your pet away, it is late. Go
to bed.” The two men stood by as Malika led Cassava from the room.
Cassava followed Malika down to his cellar room. He stood inside the door as she closed it, leaving him in darkness. He listened for the bolt to slide through the channels and after his eyes adjusted, he moved to his bed to sleep.
Cassava
woke from a deep sleep, his senses tingling. He lay covered in the
quilts, listening intently to the dark room and the castle above him.
Uncertain what brought him awake, he relaxed into the bedding and
tried to regain sleep. Moments passed and again he is alert, having
heard a sound on the step. His back to the door, he wonders if it is
morning so soon and Malika has come for him. He began to move from
the bedding when the door burst open admitting Levente. In
a blind fit of jealous rage, Levente advanced on Cassava, kicking his
back and running a long dagger through his chest, leaving him to
bleed out his life in the cold, dank cellar.
Levente then moved to the kitchen and ordered a serving girl to rouse
the Mistress from bed, her pet was dead. As the girl ran to complete her errand,
Levente returned to the cellar and kicked Cassava's abdomen,
eliciting a weak groan from the boy that brought a cruel smile to Levente's lips. Cassava curled into himself, rolling onto his side.
Levente kicked once more, his booted heel to Cassava's head, then the
Master of Castle Sotete turned and left the cellar.
***** ***** *****
Malika
flew through the castle from her chambers to the cellars, running
down the stone stair, unmindful for the slippery damp that covered
each step. Seeing Cassava curled on the floor in a pool of blood,
the Mistress threw herself down beside his unmoving form, her
nightclothes soaking up the life spilling from Cassava. 'Surely he
is dead!', she thinks. Distraught with grief, Malika closed her
eyes, quickly turning Cassava over. She hears a weak gasp and
knowing the sound to be Cassava's, her eyes widen. 'He is not dead! Hurry! Hurry!' She shouts to the girl, 'Fetch Kisertet! Bring him
here now!', she orders, her eyes darting to the girl as the
girl bounds up the stair.
Her
attention turned back to Cassava, she pulls the jumper off of him and slaps at his cheeks, calling
his name, watching his throat work as he swallows and struggles for
each short, gasping breath. 'Open your eyes, `Sava, open them! You
will not die, I will not allow you to die,' Malika growls,
'..`Sava, you are mine.' Whether her words are heard or not,
Cassava continues to struggle to survive. Had he command of his
thoughts, he would certainly be seeking his freedom in death. He was not aware of being lifted and carried from the cellar.
***** ***** *****
Fevered eyes dart side to side beneath swollen lids as heat sears through the boy's veins. Cassava whimpers in pain and mumbles incomprehensible words as his weak arms struggle against a coverlet. His battered frame sinks further into the soft bedding he lies upon.
'He
is waking,' Malika states, then casts a questioning glance at the man
sitting on the bed at the boy's side.
'No.'
Kisertet replies without a look at Malika. 'He is dying.' Kisertet
continues to dampen the cloth in the tepid water and wipe the boy's
brow, watching the grimace relax and return with each pass of cloth
to skin.
Malika
cast an angry stare at Kisertet and moved before him to force his
eyes to meet her own. 'Save him,' she bluntly commanded, causing
Kisertet to become completely still. He raised his eyes to Malika's
and watched the face that he knew so well. Kisertet gently snorted
and returned his attention to the dying boy. 'Now why would I do
that, Mistress?' emphasising
the last word. Kisertet is stunned when Malika drops to her knees
before him, her hands holding his legs and her face turned up to his.
'You are the only one who can. We waste precious moments, save him,
Kisertet.' Malika pleads.
Disgusted,
Kisertet pushes Malika's hands from his legs and rapidly stands,
walking around the bed and to the window. He keeps his back to her,
his ears alert to the shallow, uneven breaths from the boy. 'You
cannot let him die, Kisertet!' Malika wails, dropping back on her
bottom to sit on the floor. Kisertet spins around with the force of
a whirlwind and stares at Malika. 'Why, Malika?' he asks bitterly,
'so you can abuse the boy more, so Levente can torture him more?
What do you want with
him, Malika? What sort of sick hell have you put this boy through,
dear sister?' he
sneers. 'Surely you have the means
to cure him yourself!'
Kisertet's angry tirade leaves him breathing
heavily and he watches Malika with sour distaste as her hands cover
her eyes and her sobs fill the room. His eyes catch the gleam of the
fire reflected from the gemstone of Malika's ring and his face
clenched in a tight angry snarl. 'Get out,' Kisertet tells her, his
soft voice belying the anger he holds in close control. When she
does not move fast enough and looks at him questioningly, he loses
patience. Swiftly moving to Malika, Kisertet grabs her arm and pulls
her to her feet, shoving her to the door, 'Out!'
he bellows, pushing her through the door and closing it as Malika
falls forward on the other side. He slams the bolt across, locking
himself in the room with the boy, and makes his way back to the bed.










I hope the boy doesn't die but why would she torture the boy like she does? Kisertet seems to care for the boy and wants to help
ReplyDeleteThank you for reading :)
DeleteInteresting turn of events. Why would Levente attempt to kill him if only to warn his wife soon enough to save him? Wouldn't he wait until he is dead or very nearly dead?
ReplyDeleteI wouldn't have expected that kind of emotion from Mistress. At that moment she seemed to almost care about him which is a contrast to everything she's done to him since his arrival. Kisertet was right in questioning her motives for wanting to save him. I would like to know that answer myself.
I hope the interesting is a good thing :)
DeleteLevente expects Cassava's death. I had "her pet was dead" rather than ill, but changed it. Do you think I should change it back? When Levente left, Cassava was still sort of breathing. Thanks for reading and all of your feedback is greatly appreciated, it helps me tell a story better :)
How terrible. To be woken up like that. I hope her brother will help him now. I hope if he survives that Malika would she her own wicked ways and changes for the better. I wonder how these two people became so twisted. I got the feeling she can't have her own kids and punishes and obsessive loves other kids for it.
ReplyDeleteI never really know how to respond because I am so afraid of giving things away. haha.
DeleteThank you for reading, I hope you're liking it :)
I do! Like it very much :)
DeleteThis chapter broke my heart. With so many adults in the house, two sane ones I can think of right this minute, what happened to Cassy should never have happened, I don't understand how Kistert and Ursula could have let things get this far. It's not right, it's unjust and it's cruel. If something happens to Cassy Kistert and Ursula will be just as guilty as Malika and her mean ass husband.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful, heartbreaking screenshots and equally breathtaking writing.
I am glad I am able to evoke emotion with both words and pictures. Thanks so very much for reading, in spite of the rather twisted nature of the story.
DeleteKisertet has pretty much stayed away. Ursula is a servant. Jaszef lives in the stable, with the boy Malek, so they don't see as much. Malika doesn't often allow or have Cassava in the areas of the castle where the servants are. Beata runs from Cassava. The picture with her has to be one of my favourites. She looks so shocked.
Poor Cassava, how much more must he endure? I'm actually very surprised at Malika's reaction. All she does is abuse him and is mean to him, how could she possibly care for him? Lavente has big issues, he needs to be treated as he treats others....edenz~
ReplyDeleteThanks for reading, Edenz. Malika adores her pet. ^_^
DeleteLevente is scary, isn't he?
Cassava can't die! Although death would be a release from the horrible life that he leads. Maybe almost losing him and her brother's words will make Malika treat him better now!
ReplyDeleteI can't believe how cruel Levente was. How could he do that to that baby! It's Malika he should hate!
His defense of Ursula makes me think even more that the baby is his. He is not a kind man, and I don't think that he would care about the baby otherwise!
The pictures were really good, Zhippidy!
A toast to you for reading :) I am glad you're interested.
DeleteAnd I know, Cassava is quite an unfortunate boy :(
Thanks for liking the pictures :) ((I forgot to fix Kisertet's foot, it looks like he's going to break his left ankle when he picks up Cassava. Ouchies. heh))
Well it is quite clear that Malika is crazy, now more than ever at least. She doesn't even care for Cassava as a pet, no one that cares for a pet treats them as she has Cassava. He's more like a toy to her and she is crying over a broken toy as a child would.
ReplyDeleteAs for Levente, I'm not surprised but I do wonder why he did that.
I wonder if Kisertet's tirade will make Malika see things differently.
I agree, Cassava is more a possession than a child to be cared for.
DeleteLevente is scary.
Thanks so much for reading. :)
I think I am going to borrow your idea and make some maps. They will come in very handy just for me even. ^_^
Oh I think you should. They will come in handy, I know they have for me in my story.
DeleteWhat the hell is wrong with Levente? Cassava has been there for years and now he goes after him? What happened between Levente and Malika to make him go nuts like that? I was shocked how someone finally gave it to Malika though. It would have to be her brother though I can't see anyone else stepping to her. Hopefully things change around the castle and hopefully he can save Cassava's life.
ReplyDeleteLevente has an irrational, addled mind. His dislike of Cassava grew and grew over the years. It wasn't so much he and Malika, but his conversation with Kisertet that brought the insane notions out, and Malika's rushing past him with Cassava in tow just boiled things over. Thanks so much for reading and commenting. :)
DeleteI don't Cassava to die! But in a strange sort of way it seems like death is his best option. Especially given the fact that he will most likely only get beaten more.
ReplyDeleteIt's official. I hate both Levente and Malika.
Death is peace for some, I think, or so I am told.
DeleteLevente and Malika are very easy to dislike. They think they are ok though. heh.
Thanks for reading, Bria :)
Well...I did not see that coming. I understand Levente is jealous, but he caused this on himself when he gave his wife the boy to begin with. I mean, newsflash, boys grow into men!!!
ReplyDeleteLevente is an odd character. More to come about him soon :) *fingers crossed*
DeleteThanks so much for reading.
I love the way you wrote about a different side to Malika. Her desperation was almost sad to read. She's an interesting character because in this chapter it was clear how much she cares for her pet. She could've easily cut her loss and get another child, but Cassava seems different - one worth crying and grieving over. On the other hand,like Levente, I doubt she'll change her wicked ways after being this close to losing him. And by the skeptical reaction, Kisertet doesn't think so either.This was definitely one of the saddest chapters I've read so far. Great work!
ReplyDeleteI love to read peoples' thoughts on the characters and the story itself. It fascinates me how there can be so many different perceptions on the same character or event. You are so right that she could have left Cassava in the cellar and taken another child. There is a care in her, as twisted as she seems.
DeleteGASP!!!!!
ReplyDeleteI know! Bad man. :(
DeleteOh, my! This was awful! :-( <---- I mean Levente's cruelty, not the chapter. But what's the matter with these twisted people? Why would Levente want Cassava dead is beyond me, but Malika for once seemed to show some true emotions by her desperate plea to save the child's life. I simply don't know what to make of either of them.
ReplyDeleteGreat update!
Levente is a jealous man, Malika a bit cruel, selfish and very childishly spoiled. They are definitely a strange couple. Now they are the ones whose home children would cross the street to avoid. :)
DeleteThanks for reading, and for your comments :)